Rob Sassi

Stop Motion Animator, Illustrator, Painter, and Musician based in LA.

If you want work done, such as commissions, or you just wanna chat, feel free to shoot me an email at stop.rob.sassi@gmail.com or stay updated on new work with twitter @StopRobSassi.

DISCLAIMER (Copyright): None of the art on my blog can be used or reproduced without permission from me.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Concept Art for a New Old World

Hey guys, on the side this summer, I've started to develop a new prehistoric world, that may eventually lead up to my next stop motion project.

I don't really have names for any of these creatures yet, but if you are familiar with my character Byrd, I am essentially creating the world his kind existed in (yet I haven't revealed his design yet! :]).
This was the first watercolor/concept art I did, which lead to the growth of more ideas. I wanted this creature to be an herbivore, and it's intelligence is that of a dodo bird. These creatures are currently over populated in this region.
Now this creature, is what I consider to be an humanoid type. They are pretty big to start off, and they are carnivores, hunters, gathers, and 'civilized'. They are intellectual enough to use basic tools, and they hunt in packs, similar to wolves.
These guys, use their muscular arms for majority of their movement, a lot how a gorilla would travel.
Also, the decorative piece that resides on their pelvic region are a status for the male hunter. They acquire these from a larger herbivore that they hunt, which is made of their bone. At a young age, the males go through a ritual where they are given one of these hip pieces, and they have to grow into them, and endure the weight/pain, or be banned from the tribe. It should also be noted that once the bone is broken (from years of hunting) you are retired, but if you are able to go years with still maintaining your piece, you are ascended as one of the elders of the tribe.
The bones are painted vibrant colors during a ceremony, which is to confuse and lure in dumber life forms.
Here you can see the beasts hunting down the previous, Flamingo-like creature, using their pelvic bone and tremendous weight to their advantage.
I tend to find it humorous that this flamingo-like bird has become one of the easiest prey in this world. The creature in the water, it actually in the middle of a metamorphosis state, similar to the stage between tadpole and frog. They start off as only water dwellers, but as it grows, the gills start to be replace by lungs, and become mainly land dwellers, that reside near bodies of water (like most amphibians).

I have a lot more planned mentally, but I'll update you with more work before the summer ends. Also, I should prob try to come up with names...

No comments:

Post a Comment