Rob Sassi

Stop Motion Animator, Illustrator, Painter, and Musician based in LA.

If you want work done, such as commissions, or you just wanna chat, feel free to shoot me an email at stop.rob.sassi@gmail.com or stay updated on new work with twitter @StopRobSassi.

DISCLAIMER (Copyright): None of the art on my blog can be used or reproduced without permission from me.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Byrd VS Worm (A Stop motion short by Rob Sassi)

 Everyone starts somewhere, and my somewhere was a walking skeleton named Byrd.
I initially made this character as a joke in MSPaint, while sitting in computer animation class, waiting for the rest of the class to catch up.
My neighbor thought it was hilarious, and at the time I was looking for a character to work with for my animation 2's walk cycle... and if you know me, I enjoy taking advantage on an open assignment.

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT, THE DEAD NAIVE WALKING BYRD WAS CREATED...
But he wasn't perfect.
This was my first turn around I did with my initial design, but I needed to add more appeal.
 Of course, I was pursuing a more stop motion approach at the time so I pushed the sculptural feel of Byrd... and this is what I came to before I started to build him. Somehow, everything I do turns out cute... oh well...

I wasn't as keen to documenting my process as much as I am now, so I am sorry to inform that I don't have much to show of the armature I used for Byrd, etc...
Also, this was my first "real" short that I invested time into, and I literally had no storyboards! I pretty much just had the general idea, and went with it... There were a lot of little things I added on the spot... But I really enjoyed how this turned out under the pressure... but wouldn't recommend it.
I was still pretty new to animating with a puppet, so experiencing first hand what I could get away with and such, was a very exciting time!
I made a simple story, a character with a goal, and it was reasonable for one person to handle. I honestly never thought Byrd would become such a big deal (or develop as much as he is at this point in my head!), but apparently people are still talking about him at Edinboro, even now that I am gone.
I did end up producing a sequel named Byrd vs Gravity, but I shall do a seperate post talking about that project.

Thanks for the read, and below is the link to my animated short, Byrd VS Worm!
(Filmed Fall 2010 @ Edinboro University)

PS. I composed the music in this!

No comments:

Post a Comment